Thalia Wins 2021 Gstaad Yacht Club Classic Boat Centenarian of the Year
GYC will award the 1888 gaff cutter Thalia the Centenary Trophy at the 10th anniversary of the regatta, on Thursday, 30 September, 2021 during the Voiles de Saint-Tropez
Built in 1888 at the yards of George Wanhill in Poole, Dorset, the seductive gaff cutter Thalia is the winner of GYC’s Centenarian of the Year 2021 Classic Boat Awards.
Thalia has a long history of captivating the hearts of true sailors, including that of Mr. David Aisher, her owner since 2010. He has performed an extensive restoration and she has been his companion for the last decade, during which they’ve travelled together broadly and blissfully. With her owner at the helm, Thalia emanates determination and beauty when they partake in selected regattas.
In the 1890s, Thalia was sailed by the Royal Cork Yacht Club and later returned to the South Coast of England. Prior to becoming the property of Aisher, she had a brief incursion in the Caribbean.
The Classic Boat Awards is organised by Classic Boat Magazine and is a well-regarded nautical celebration within the classic boating and sailing industries, noted in the agendas of sailors, boat owners and sailing aficionados from around the world. Due to public health concerns related to the coronavirus, this year’s award ceremony was broadcast online providing an opportunity for all enthusiasts to follow it.
The lifetime achievement award, one of the highlights of the ceremony, was a posthumous recognition to Mr. Robert Fisher for his contribution to sailing. Mr. Fisher was a competitive sailor, renowned journalist, and writer of over 30 books.
For five years, the GYC has partnered with Classic Boat Awards for the Centenarian of the Year award. Thalia was selected from a shortlist of six centenarian yachts, and the GYC extends its thanks to the jury, who selected the yachts, to the public for voting on their favourite vessels, and to Robbe & Berking Silversmiths for their support on the silver trophy. It will be awarded during the 10th anniversary of the Centenary Trophy regatta, which will take place this year on Thursday, 30 September, 2021 during the Voiles de Saint-Tropez.
CLICK HERE for a video of award-winning boats and the ceremony.
Classic Boat Awards winners in 2021:
- Restoration of the Year (over 40ft): Cynara, 95ft (29m), built by Charles E. Nicholson, restored by a team led by Paul Harvey and Ben Hobbs.
- Restoration of the Year (under 40ft): Bel’Rose, 30ft 6in (9.3m), built by Albert Andersson, restored by Nyhamns Såg & Båtbygerri.
- Traditional new build: Scarabee, 55ft 8in (17m), Bermudan yawl, built by Pieter van der Aa.
- Spirit of Tradition under 40ft: The Longshore, 14ft (4.3m), standing lug rig, built by Sam Doman.
- New Powered vessel: Ittir kaktir, 33ft (10m), built by RMK Marine, designed by Devlin Boat.
- Restored Powered vessel: Makaira, 47ft (14.3m), built by British Powerboat Company, restored by Michael Dennett Boatbuilders.
- Classic Boater of the Year: Luke Powell
- Gstaad Yacht Club/Classic Boat Centenarian of the Year: Thalia, 45ft (13.7m), 1888 Gaff Cutter