Nyländska Jaktklubben (NJK)
Nyländska Jaktklubben (NJK) was founded in 1861 upon approval of its rules by Czar Alexander II in St. Petersburg. At the time Finland was called the Grand Duchy of Finland and it was part of the Russian Empire.
NJK is the largest and oldest registered yacht club in Finland. The club has more than 2,700 members. The language of the club is Swedish. It is a versatile club with activities for all the different member categories. The club aims to advance seamanship, enhance social life and keep its position as the leading yacht club in the country. Much effort is put into promoting the sport of sailing among juniors as well as senior members. The club has qualified coaches offering top class training at different levels.
NJK was the first yacht club to introduce match racing
in Finland. The Match Racing Centre (MRC), now named Sailing Centre, at NJK is
open for all so no membership is required. Eight J80 boats owned by the club
are at the disposal. Junior sailors have the opportunity to sail boats owned by the club such as Optimists (10), Zoom8s (10) and Rs Visions (3).
NJK has two harbours in Helsinki, Blekholmen in the South Harbour, right in the city centre with berths for 125 boats. The old clubhouse, dating from 1900, is situated on the island and is one of the most photographed buildings Helsinki.
The sailing centre is situated in the western part of Helsinki. Björkholmen is connected to the mainland and here is the NJK office situated. Björkholmen has berths for 200 boats and in the winter it has around 150 boats laid up ashore.
The sailing centre on Björkholmen is very much alive
from early May until late November, depending on the ice situation. There are
sailing schools, a training centre for 49ers and a Sailing Centre comprising
about 100 sailors. Sailors have the comfort of a sauna with showers and lockers
for their sailing gear.”
NJK has ten harbours in the archipelago only a day's sailing distance from each other, from east to west. The harbours with their mooring facilities are a valuable asset to the club as they offer members a sheltered harbour where they can enjoy a warm sauna after a wet day at sea. All except one have a sauna.
The vast majority of the club members do not race but
cruise. This might seem a contradiction in terms given how much effort is put
into racing. However, this is a strategy that has been agreed upon from the
beginning and the club's ten islands provide ample compensation for those
interested in cruising.”
The present ten skerry harbours are well maintained and every year major improvements are made where needed. Cruising in the Baltic is popular and some members extend their cruises to Sweden, Denmark, Norway and even further.
NJK is very proud of its skerry harbours and extremely grateful to those members who have made it possible for the club to possess so many beautiful islands. The club owns two and the rest are leased. Their worth increases from year to year in tandem with the increasing number of leisure boats in the archipelago all looking for a sheltered mooring. The NJK harbours are reserved for members only.
The club is run by a Board consisting of 10 members: a Commodore, Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore, Treasurer and six members. The commodore is elected for one year and can be re-elected five times. Members sit for three years and the others for six years. The Board appoints the heads of the various committees. There are 18 committees, which mean that a large range of yachting-related interests are covered. Club members, on a voluntary basis, ensure the continuity of the NJK's traditions. The committees are accountable to the Board and each Board member heads a committee for which they bear full responsibility.
Click HERE for a record of NJK's 150th Anniversary! Entertaining reading.
Updated Monday, January 13, 2020