Chaussée de Vilvorde, 1


Phone: 00 32 2 216 48 28
Mobile: 00 32 475 585 707

Fax: 00 32 2 245 62 22


Web site:


Brussels, Belgium


The “Yachting Club de Bruxelles” was founded on 2 May 1906 and became the current Bruxelles Royal Yacht Club in 1913, currently under the patronage of His Majesty the King Albert II.

In command of the fortunes of the club since 2003, Alain Radelet is the fourteenth Commodore since its foundation.

Right from the start, nautical facilities were installed on the waters of the Brussels ship canal, on a site belonging to the Donation Royale, located in the heart of Brussels close to the Royal Chateau of Laeken.

In 1910 the facilities were extended to their current area, comprising a site of 15,000 sq. meters with a berthing dock of 4,800 sq. meters. The first clubhouse was erected at the same time, an elegant wooden pavilion used for the Brussels World Fair in the same year.

Destroyed by fire in early 1936, the clubhouse was immediately replaced by the current building, which was then enlarged in 1981 with the addition of secretarial offices and classrooms to match the activities and ambitions of the club. In 2006, during its centenary year, coinciding with the fiftieth anniversary of its sailing school, the club was endowed with new ultra-modern premises for the school, enabling instruction on dinghies in the best conditions.

With more than 500 members, the B.R.Y.C., the largest yachting club in French-speaking Belgium, is a major player in all bodies governing this sport in Belgium. Established as a real nautical centre in the Port of Brussels, it has also been able to turn towards Europe and claim a significant international presence.

The club deals with all aspects of water sports:

¨      A sailing school for one-design sailboats offering beginners courses and advanced courses, as well as training for accomplished sportsmen and sportswomen.

¨      Ocean sailing activities. Not only various forms of cruises, but also the organisation of sea regattas as part of Belgian championships.

¨      A sailing school to prepare for various licenses.

¨      A motorboat section primarily targeted at navigation in inland waterways and rivers.

¨      A crane and handling facilities, as well as a parking area in a boathouse or on the quays, usefully complemented by the presence of a maintenance and repair shop on the site.

¨      Many cultural and leisure activities centred around our sport, such as the organisation of debates, conferences, exhibitions or theme evenings, and even a bridge section.

¨      Various events of a family and festive nature where members and their guests like to meet in the warm atmosphere of the club.

The B.R.Y.C. has many famous sailors among its members who are renowned for their sporting achievements and the exceptional voyages that they have accomplished.

The clubhouse, with a quality restaurant, proudly facing the canal linking Brussels to the sea, is a haven of conviviality where the art of living mixes with maritime tradition.

A wintering port or permanent base for members, the B.R.Y.C. marina is also a highly appreciated port of call for those who want to take advantage of its privileged location on the water to see Brussels in an unusual way.

The Bruxelles Royal Yacht Club symbolises the happy marriage of nautical traditions and the presence of a marina in the heart of Brussels with modern and effective facilities that the capital of Europe can be proud of.

If you would like to know more, a book was published for the centenary of the BRYC. This magnificent, abundantly illustrated work not only evokes the episodes of the hundred years of the club’s existence, but also the history of the Port of Brussels and its maritime link. It also traces the development of sailing in this period and honours the many champions who have justly represented our country in the various sporting disciplines of yachting. It also deals with a little known aspect of our monarchy: the connections of our successive sovereigns with yachting.

One hundred exceptional pages for one hundred years of history, the book can be purchased by calling the club secretarial offices.

updated Sunday, September 08, 2013